Re: [sip-clf] IETF 76 Minutes posted -> IPFIX questions

Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com> Thu, 03 December 2009 04:57 UTC

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 2009 23:57:34 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [sip-clf] IETF 76 Minutes posted -> IPFIX questions

Right, I agree with you.  The trouble is we really do want it for multiple purposes. :)

But then I'm one of the ones who think IPFIX _is_ the right way to go anyway, because it has solved the problems and there's no point re-inventing the wheel.  I think it's just a bit daunting to people at first because they see a bunch of big RFC docs and assume it means a lot of work or complexity in implementation.

As for your question of: "Where does SIP typically run? on hosts? on routers? on middleboxes? in embedded systems? Would these environments have the same resources that web server environments typically have?"
The answer is it runs on all the above, and no not all of them have the same resources as web server environments. (which you probably knew when you asked it ;)

-hadriel