Re: [sip-clf] WGLC: SIPCLFProblemStatement(draft-gurbani-sipclf-problem-statement-01)

"Rainer Gerhards" <rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com> Wed, 03 February 2010 17:08 UTC

Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 18:09:26 +0100
From: Rainer Gerhards <rgerhards@hq.adiscon.com>
To: Spencer Dawkins <spencer@wonderhamster.org>, David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>, "Vijay K. Gurbani" <vkg@alcatel-lucent.com>, sip-clf@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sip-clf] WGLC: SIPCLFProblemStatement(draft-gurbani-sipclf-problem-statement-01)

This is actually done with ancient syslog in practice. Syslog provides a
so-called facility, which can be used as a very rough indication of the
message type. If you dig into the details, there is much that one can argue
about (and the syslog WG has done in length), but properly deployed this is a
very fast and efficient mechanism to separate different types of log sources.
Also, you can send log entries to as many destinations as you like. I myself
are doing this for over 15 years now, and others do it much longer.

A big problem was that traditional syslog mainly used UDP transport and thus
was not well-suited (to phrase it lightly) for important data (but see [1]
below). Nonetheless even financial institutions used (and continue to use)
traditional syslog with great success for audit data.

Modern syslog solves or at least considerably improves on traditional syslog,
by proving much better reliability, and enhanced filtering capabilities. It
should be noted that each of the large syslog implementations (syslog-ng,
rsyslog, WinSyslog, ...) provide very complex filtering rules, and do so for
year, as it is typical that a stream of syslog messages must be dispersed
into separate streams, for example, to log everything to an audit log, feed
specific events to a security console and feed some other events to a billing
system (in the service provider case).

In my *personal* view, there are three main points that lead to the
overwhelmingly large deployments of syslog:

* ease of implementation (aka support for
  lazy implementations ;))
* capability to create very flexible
  filtering and message routing scenarios
* wide availability of components, both servers
  and clients (related to point 1 above ;)))

Please note that syslog has been implemented outside of the pure system
management space. It is being used at least for

* billing purposes (ISPs, other service providers)
* capturing audit data
* storing connection records for
  legal purposes (at least in Germany)
* IHE (Healthcare) [1]

I am aware of at least one other larger body that expressed interest in using
syslog for application-level data that has *absolutely* nothing to do with IT
management (but cannot tell more about it due to NDA - just let me say that I
was really *surprised* that this was a use case for syslog).

So I think it would be useful to list the requirements, and see if syslog can
provide a solution or not.

Rainer

[1]
http://wiki.ihe.net/index.php?title=ATNA_Profile_FAQ#Why_does_ATNA_use_UDP_SY