Re: [sip-clf] Defining Pros and Cons of ASCII/IPFIX

Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com> Tue, 09 November 2010 14:12 UTC

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
To: Eric Burger <eburger@standardstrack.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2010 09:13:15 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: List SIP-CLF Mailing <sip-clf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sip-clf] Defining Pros and Cons of ASCII/IPFIX

But we're not asking for both - the point of today's meeting was to agree to pick ascii.  Some of us will also (separately) ask for a sipclf charter change or dispatch item to go do a real-time exporting mechanism for SIP message/flow information for monitoring.

-hadriel
p.s. btw, there *are* implementations of H.248 in binary - one's from a vendor right here in China.
p.p.s. There is some delicious irony having SIP being a protocol easily read by humans and very hard to read by machines, while a logging format for troubleshooting SIP could be hard to read by humans but easily read by machines. :)