Re: [sip-clf] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sipclf-format-07.txt

Gonzalo Salgueiro <gsalguei@cisco.com> Tue, 23 October 2012 21:28 UTC

Return-Path: <gsalguei@cisco.com>
X-Original-To: sip-clf@ietfa.amsl.com
Delivered-To: sip-clf@ietfa.amsl.com
Received: from localhost (localhost [127.0.0.1]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 5094C1F0C95 for <sip-clf@ietfa.amsl.com>; Tue, 23 Oct 2012 14:28:33 -0700 (PDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at amsl.com
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -10.465
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-10.465 tagged_above=-999 required=5 tests=[AWL=0.134, BAYES_00=-2.599, RCVD_IN_DNSWL_HI=-8]
Received: from mail.ietf.org ([64.170.98.30]) by localhost (ietfa.amsl.com [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024) with ESMTP id MmOZ-JcOCvOm for <sip-clf@ietfa.amsl.com>; Tue, 23 Oct 2012 14:28:32 -0700 (PDT)
Received: from av-tac-rtp.cisco.com (av-tac-rtp.cisco.com [64.102.19.209]) by ietfa.amsl.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 829751F0C91 for <sip-clf@ietf.org>; Tue, 23 Oct 2012 14:28:32 -0700 (PDT)
X-TACSUNS: Virus Scanned
Received: from chook.cisco.com (localhost.cisco.com [127.0.0.1]) by av-tac-rtp.cisco.com (8.13.8+Sun/8.13.8) with ESMTP id q9NLSVsJ020389 for <sip-clf@ietf.org>; Tue, 23 Oct 2012 17:28:31 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from dhcp-10-150-54-114.cisco.com (dhcp-10-150-54-114.cisco.com [10.150.54.114]) by chook.cisco.com (8.13.8+Sun/8.13.8) with ESMTP id q9NLSQur012569; Tue, 23 Oct 2012 17:28:27 -0400 (EDT)
Mime-Version: 1.0 (Apple Message framework v1283)
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=iso-8859-1
From: Gonzalo Salgueiro <gsalguei@cisco.com>
In-Reply-To: <508706F9.1020507@nostrum.com>
Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 17:28:26 -0400
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
Message-Id: <03DA5392-9085-4713-B605-2F986B3C02AE@cisco.com>
References: <20121005015620.22856.1399.idtracker@ietfa.amsl.com> <869FCF91-1032-4411-A7D5-85CEE6F120E5@cisco.com> <508706F9.1020507@nostrum.com>
To: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
X-Mailer: Apple Mail (2.1283)
Cc: "sip-clf@ietf.org Mailing" <sip-clf@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sip-clf] I-D Action: draft-ietf-sipclf-format-07.txt
X-BeenThere: sip-clf@ietf.org
X-Mailman-Version: 2.1.12
Precedence: list
List-Id: SIP Common Log File format discussion list <sip-clf.ietf.org>
List-Unsubscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/options/sip-clf>, <mailto:sip-clf-request@ietf.org?subject=unsubscribe>
List-Archive: <http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sip-clf>
List-Post: <mailto:sip-clf@ietf.org>
List-Help: <mailto:sip-clf-request@ietf.org?subject=help>
List-Subscribe: <https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip-clf>, <mailto:sip-clf-request@ietf.org?subject=subscribe>
X-List-Received-Date: Tue, 23 Oct 2012 21:28:33 -0000

On Oct 23, 2012, at 5:07 PM, Robert Sparks wrote:

> The list has been silent on this. It needs review and comment please.
> 
> There is one part of the new text that is not right yet.
> 
> " The Value field for the optional element being logged MUST be Base64
>    encoded if it has any characters outside of the UTF-8 character set."
> doesn't make sense.
> 
> This should be saying something like  "if it contains any octets with values between 0 and 31 inclusive, or 127".

Yep, this was a stupid oversight by me on the non-printable characters within UTF-8. I'll replace the above quoted text with the following:

The Value field for the optional element being logged MUST be Base64 encoded if it has any non-printable UTF-8 characters or characters outside of the UTF-8 character set.

Does that sound fine?

Gonzalo




> 
> RjS
> 
> On 10/4/12 9:13 PM, Gonzalo Salgueiro wrote:
>> Folks:
>> 
>> I have posted the -07 version of the SIP CLF Format Draft and it is now in the archives at [1].
>> 
>> This draft was meant to address the few remaining AD review items that were raised. The diffs between the -06 and the -07 versions are at [2]
>> 
>> The principal changes include:
>> 
>> - Introduced Base64 Encoded Byte (BEB) to deal with optional logging of non-UTF-8 message bodies
>> - Added an example using BEB for logging a binary body
>> - Clarified and expanded the text dealing with encoding, character escaping, and usage of SIP CLF and put it all into its own section
>> - Addressed several minor issues and nits
>>  
>> [1] 
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sipclf-format
>> 
>> [2] 
>> http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-sipclf-format-07
>> 
>> 
>> Regards,
>> 
>> Gonzalo
>> 
>> On Mar 12, 2012, at 3:13 PM, 
>> Internet-Drafts@ietf.org
>>  wrote:
>> 
>> 
>>> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories. This draft is a work item of the SIP Common Log Format Working Group of the IETF.
>>> 
>>> 	Title           : Format for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Common Log Format (CLF)
>>> 	Author(s)       : Gonzalo Salgueiro
>>>                          Vijay Gurbani
>>>                          Adam Roach
>>> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-sipclf-format-06.txt
>>> 	Pages           : 28
>>> 	Date            : 2012-03-12
>>> 
>>>   The SIPCLF Workgroup has defined a common log format framework for
>>>   Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) servers.  This common log format
>>>   mimics the successful event logging format found in well-known web
>>>   servers like Apache and web proxies like Squid.  This document
>>>   proposes an indexed text encoding format for the SIP Common Log
>>>   Format (CLF) that retains the key advantages of a text-based format,
>>>   while significantly increasing processing performance over a purely
>>>   text-based implementation.  This file format adheres to the SIP CLF
>>>   data model and provides an effective encoding scheme for all
>>>   mandatory and optional fields that appear in a SIP CLF record.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
>>> 
>>> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipclf-format-06.txt
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
>>> 
>>> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>>> 
>>> 
>>> This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
>>> 
>>> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-sipclf-format-06.txt
>>> 
>>> 
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> sip-clf mailing list
>>> 
>>> sip-clf@ietf.org
>>> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/sip-clf
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>> 
>> On Oct 4, 2012, at 9:56 PM, 
>> Internet-Drafts@ietf.org
>>  wrote:
>> 
>> 
>>> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
>>> This draft is a work item of the SIP Common Log Format Working Group of the IETF.
>>> 
>>> 	Title           : Format for the Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Common Log Format (CLF)
>>> 	Author(s)       : Gonzalo Salgueiro
>>>                          Vijay Gurbani
>>>                          Adam Roach
>>> 	Filename        : draft-ietf-sipclf-format-07.txt
>>> 	Pages           : 30
>>> 	Date            : 2012-10-04
>>> 
>>> Abstract:
>>>   The SIPCLF Workgroup has defined a common log format framework for
>>>   Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) servers.  This common log format
>>>   mimics the successful event logging format found in well-known web
>>>   servers like Apache and web proxies like Squid.  This document
>>>   proposes an indexed text encoding format for the SIP Common Log
>>>   Format (CLF) that retains the key advantages of a text-based format,
>>>   while significantly increasing processing performance over a purely
>>>   text-based implementation.  This file format adheres to the SIP CLF
>>>   data model and provides an effective encoding scheme for all
>>>   mandatory and optional fields that appear in a SIP CLF record.
>>> 
>>> 
>>> The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
>>> 
>>> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipclf-format
>>> 
>>> 
>>> There's also a htmlized version available at:
>>> 
>>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-sipclf-format-07
>>> 
>>> 
>>> A diff from the previous version is available at:
>>> 
>>> http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-sipclf-format-07
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>>> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
>>> 
>>> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
>>> 
>>> 
>>> _______________________________________________
>>> I-D-Announce mailing list
>>> 
>>> I-D-Announce@ietf.org
>>> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
>>> 
>>> Internet-Draft directories: 
>>> http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
>>> 
>>> or 
>>> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt
>>> 
>>> 
>>> 
>