[sip-clf] Logging Optional Fields in the SIP CLF

Gonzalo Salgueiro <gsalguei@cisco.com> Wed, 20 April 2011 19:24 UTC

From: Gonzalo Salgueiro <gsalguei@cisco.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:24:53 -0400
To: "sip-clf@ietf.org Mailing" <sip-clf@ietf.org>
Subject: [sip-clf] Logging Optional Fields in the SIP CLF

Folks -

According to the discussions in Prague we decided that a single format be used to log optional fields. The current format draft presents two separate formats; one for logging Pre-defined optional fields and another to log vendor-specific elements. The discussions in Prague have indicated that a universally agreed upon list of Pre-Defined optional fields is too restrictive. Rather, the ability to log ANY SIP header (or header element) as well as body (or body element) should be optionally allowed by this format.

I'd like to propose the following format to log optional elements:

byte 1 0x09 (Tab)
byte 2-5 Tag (Hex)
byte 6 0x40 ('@')
byte 7-10 Vendor-ID (PEN)
byte 11 0x2C (comma)
byte 12-15 Length (Hex)
byte 16 0x2C (comma)
byte 17-... Value (variable length)

Note: This format is represented graphically in the diagram at the end of this message (view with fixed-width font).

This is a TLV format for logging optional fields that can be represented as:

tag@PEN,Length,Value

where:

I.  PEN=0x0000 is used to log the entire SIP message, message body, or any non-mandatory SIP header fields plus the Reason-Phrase

tag=0x0000 Log SIP Header Field or Reason-Phrase
tag=0x0001 Log message body
tag=0x0002 Log entire SIP message

- For the case of 0000@0000 the associated "Value" field MUST be populated by the entire header field being logged. That is, the field-name, the associated colon (":") and the field-value. This mechanism provides the capability to optionally log ANY SIP header field by identifying the field being logged in the "Value" field.
- Because the Reason-Phrase in a response is part of the Status-Line and is not identified with a field-name, it is a special case. In this instance, the the associated "Value" field MUST be populated by the name "Reason-Phrase" followed by a colon (":") and a single space (SP) between the colon and the logged reason phrase value.
- The corresponding "Length" field includes the length of the entire "Value" field. This includes the field-name, the colon, and any LWS separator.
- The cases of logging the message body (0001@0000) or the entire SIP message (0002@0000) are subject to the same field length limitation of 4k as detailed in the Problem Statement.

Example:

Consider the SIP response:

SIP/2.0 180 Ringing
Via: SIP/2.0/UDP pc33.atlanta.com;branch=z9hG4bKnashds8
 ;received=192.0.2.1