Re: [sip-clf] WGLC: SIPCLF ProblemStatement(draft-gurbani-sipclf-problem-statement-01)

"Spencer Dawkins" <spencer@wonderhamster.org> Wed, 03 February 2010 16:45 UTC

From: Spencer Dawkins <spencer@wonderhamster.org>
To: David Harrington <ietfdbh@comcast.net>, "'Vijay K. Gurbani'" <vkg@alcatel-lucent.com>, sip-clf@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 10:45:57 -0600
Subject: Re: [sip-clf] WGLC: SIPCLF ProblemStatement(draft-gurbani-sipclf-problem-statement-01)

Hi, Dave,

<as-co-chair>

Thanks for clarifying your role - it's helpful.

</as-co-chair>

<as-participant>

On one specific point:

> As I read the problem-statement-01, my
> impression is syslog and/or ipfix might fit well to meet certain
> goals, however, it is highly possible that syslog and ipfix are WRONG
> to solve the sipclf problem.
>
> As Technical Advisor - not as technical contributor - I recommend that
> the WG consider syslog and ipfix seriously. My advice as Technical
> Advisor is to do a real analysis about the applicability of existing
> standards like syslog and ipfix to the various sip clf use cases. This
> should not be just a cursory analysis; we spent probably less than one
> minute talking about syslog at the last IETF meeting.

I think the discussion lasted longer than a minute, but I suspect the longer
time I'm remembering included people walking to the mike :D

So, my understanding of the pushback on SYSLOG in Hiroshima - and I think
this is what Vijay was saying in his followup - was that SYSLOG entries
become really important when Bad Things Happen(TM), and people weren't sure
that producing a lot of SIPCLF SYSLOG entries, which might even be
message-by-message for a large SIP proxy, that you needed to prune through
in order to find more "interesting" SYSLOG entries like "file system full",
was the right thing to do.

Since you are a smart guy about SYSLOG - is this a realistic concern for us
to have? and, if the answer is "yes", does modern SYSLOG with structured
data elements provide a way to either (1) quickly separate the SIPCLF SYSLOG
entries from other "oh, no" SYSLOG entries, or (2) send SIPCLF log entries
using the same protocol to two different destinations, one potentially
containing massive amounts of SIPCLF log entries, and the other containing
"everything else"?

I would really like to use one of the existing management frameworks (still
speaking as a participant here), IFF it's the right thing to do.

</as-participant>

Thanks,

Spencer