Re: [sip-overload] draft-ietf-soc-overload-design-05

"DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com> Tue, 19 April 2011 13:44 UTC

From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: ken carlberg <carlberg@g11.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 15:43:01 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "sip-overload@ietf.org" <sip-overload@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sip-overload] draft-ietf-soc-overload-design-05

With regard to your comment on 1), I believe nothing extra is required. Anyone setting up multiple namespaces has to define at each entity that is required to understand them how they are treated in relationship to each other. That is part of the implementation. That will define which namespaces exist, and which are used at the receiving entity to give any form of priority handling. There is no reason for SIP overload to alter that relationship in any way, shape, or form.

On 2), I do not believe your comment is correct. The fact that a namespace is a pre-emption namespace is not an invitation to pre-empt all other calls until you get your call through, even under situations of no overload. It merely states that calls can be pre-empted when this namespace is used. The same applies for priority. Usually the algorithm for handling these DOES NOT SAY - handle all calls with this namespace until there are none left, and then move onto others. It deals with things like percentage of traffic and so on. So what I am saying is that the RPH is not a guarantee to override all other traffic, whether overload exists or not.

Regards

Keith