Re: [sip-overload] Proposal: Support for the restriction algorithms should be mandatory for clients (draft-ietf-soc-overload-control-02)

Volker Hilt <volker.hilt@alcatel-lucent.com> Fri, 29 April 2011 16:42 UTC

Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 12:42:35 -0400
From: Volker Hilt <volker.hilt@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "NOEL, ERIC C (ERIC C)" <ecnoel@research.att.com>
Cc: "sip-overload@ietf.org" <sip-overload@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sip-overload] Proposal: Support for the restriction algorithms should be mandatory for clients (draft-ietf-soc-overload-control-02)

Eric,

what makes you think the problems described in this paper apply to SIP
overload control? None of the simulations (including yours) did show
problems with loss-based control. Do you have results that replicate
these issues in a SIP network? What is missing?

Volker

On 4/29/2011 8:56 AM, NOEL, ERIC C (ERIC C) wrote:
> [...]
>> any case we would expect less sensitivity to design variations. It
>> is not realistic to envisage a situation whereby an overloaded
>> server supports several different client restriction algorithms
>> simultaneously, because of the complexity in design of the
>> algorithm, and because even if a unique solution is guaranteed,
>> there will be issues of both speed of convergence to that solution,
>> stability, and the need for the server capacity amongst upstream
>> clients to be allocated in a predictable and precise way. This has
>> implications for capacity guarantees, particularly at network
>> boundaries (see below). If support for the 3 different restriction
>> algorithms (or at least the 2 in which we are interested) is
>> mandated by the IETF rather than being optional, then a server
>> subject to overload can guarantee that the sending entities will
>> all use the same restriction algorithms, and can behave as
>> predicted.
>
> So you are arguing that a client should always implement the full set
> of restriction algorithms (e.g., loss, rate and window)?
>
> If we would mandate that, we would loose the possibility to extend
> the feedback types at a later point. And, of course, we add the
> complexity of requiring clients to implement multiple algorithms that
> to the same.
>
>> Performance imitations ---------------------------------- The main
>> performance limitation of proportional restriction is that it is
>> vulnerable to sudden increases on the offered load at client
>> sources, since the mean admitted rate after control is proportional
>> to the mean arrival rate before control until an adaptation of the
>> control parameter is made. But there will always be a delay to this
>> control adaptation (at least in the closed loop method implied by
>> the current specification), both because of the need for waiting
>> sufficiently long at the overloaded server in order to obtain
>> statistically accurate estimates before an adaptation is made, and
>> the time and number of received messages required to distribute
>> control to the clients.
>
> Can you please point us to results that show this behavior?
>
> I'd also recommend to look at the results of the SIP overload
> control design team that has investigated this problem.
>
>> This vulnerability is worse when the number of clients is 'large'
>> with a high capacity relative to the server. In contrast, a maximum
>> rate-based control is generally not so vulnerable to short term
>> surges in load.
>
> A rate based mechanism needs to split its capacity across upstream
> neighbors. If new clients arrive, the split has to be adjusted. In
> particular if you are dealing with a large set of clients some of
> which may be inactive for some time, this requires a quick
> readjustment of the allocated capacity. This topic has been
> discussion in the design considerations draft.
>
>> The need to support precise capacity guarantees

It is common practice for agreements concerning capacity to be provided