Re: [sip-overload] draft-ietf-soc-overload-design-05

ken carlberg <carlberg@g11.org.uk> Tue, 19 April 2011 12:43 UTC

From: ken carlberg <carlberg@g11.org.uk>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2011 08:43:31 -0400
To: Janet P Gunn <jgunn6@csc.com>
Cc: Volker Hilt <volker.hilt@alcatel-lucent.com>, "sip-overload@ietf.org" <sip-overload@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sip-overload] draft-ietf-soc-overload-design-05

On Apr 19, 2011, at 8:23 AM, Janet P Gunn wrote:

> Volker,
>
> I would just as soon stick with the original text.
>
> I think the new proposed text is misleading.
>
> Both Queuing and Preemption are mechanisms that make sense when the "holding time" is several orders of magnitude more that the time to manipulate the queue, or organize the preemption.  This makes them useful mechanisms for dealing with SIP sessions.
>
> But when dealing with a SIP server, processing SIP messages, the "holding time" is likely to be the same order of magnitude as the time to manipulate the queue, or organize the preemption.  In this case introducing queue manipulation or preemption is counterproductive, and likely to lead to thrashing..

you can't have it both ways.  you cannot say that the Namespaces in rfc4412 are the ones to be used, but that their defined characteristics (either being queuing or preemption) are inappropriate.

I fail to see how pointing out aspects in rfc4412 is misleading.  Note that my suggested text does not advocate nor dismiss existing Namespaces.  The text is general and it simply points out existing aspects, such as the potential for multiple RPH, which is not mentioned in the original text of soc-overload-design.  How that can be construed as misleading is beyond me.

-ken