Re: [sip-overload] Bar BOF request for SIP Load balancing & (media) overload handling

Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com> Thu, 24 March 2011 15:44 UTC

Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2011 17:45:59 +0200
From: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
To: "Paul E. Jones" <paulej@packetizer.com>
Cc: "dworley@avaya.com" <dworley@avaya.com>, "vpascual@acmepacket.com" <vpascual@acmepacket.com>, "sip-overload@ietf.org" <sip-overload@ietf.org>, "spromano@unina.it" <spromano@unina.it>, "keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com>, "HKaplan@acmepacket.com" <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>, "dispatch@ietf.org" <dispatch@ietf.org>, "Thierry.Bessis@alcatel-lucent.com" <Thierry.Bessis@alcatel-lucent.com>, "Mike Hammer (hmmr)" <hmmr@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [sip-overload] Bar BOF request for SIP Load balancing & (media) overload handling

Hi,

thanks for the feedback. We will address that issue in the next revision
of the draft ;o)

Jokes aside, one of the main points of the draft is that the term "bar
BOF" confuses many people (specially because it contains the word "BOF"
and people end up confusing bar BOFs with actual BOFs). So, we recommend
to call them "side meetings" instead.

Cheers,

Gonzalo

On 17/03/2011 2:38 PM, Paul E. Jones wrote:
> This is not entirely helpful.  It does not go into explaining what kind
> or how much beer Partha is going to be required to buy everyone who
> attends ;-)
>
> On 3/16/2011 10:18 PM, Cullen Jennings wrote:
>> Just as FYI ... if you have not seen it, you might want to have a read of
>> http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-eggert-successful-bar-bof
>>

>> On Mar 16, 2011, at 6:44 PM, Parthasarathi R (partr) wrote:
>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> There is lot of discussion about SIP load balancing and overload handling in Dispatch alias. I wish to have discussion about SIP Load balancing&  (media) overload handling at IETF-80 Prague. I guess that Bar BOF is the idle way to start the discussion about this topic to common understanding and identify the way to move forward. Please suggest me in case any other mechanism exists in IETF.
>>>
>>> I have included the folks who has shown the interest in this topic as part of SIP Load balancing&  overload handling, dispatch WG chairs, CCed to Dispatch and SoC WG alias. AFAIK, the couple of drafts are related to this problem:
>>>
>>> draft-bessis-dispatch-adaptive-load-balancing-00
>>> draft-partha-dispatch-sip-media-overload-control-00.txt
>>> draft-jones-sip-overload-sce-00
>>> draft-partha-dispatch-resource-availability-00