Re: [sip-overload] Proposal: Support for the restriction algorithms should be mandatory for clients (draft-ietf-soc-overload-control-02)

"Bharrat, Shaun" <SBharrat@sonusnet.com> Fri, 29 April 2011 14:09 UTC

Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 10:07:31 -0400
From: "Bharrat, Shaun" <SBharrat@sonusnet.com>
To: "NOEL, ERIC C (ERIC C)" <ecnoel@research.att.com>, Volker Hilt <volker.hilt@alcatel-lucent.com>, sip-overload@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sip-overload] Proposal: Support for the restriction algorithms should be mandatory for clients (draft-ietf-soc-overload-control-02)

> In that paper, Figure 3 compares rate control to call gapping and to
> percent blocking. As offered load increases, rate control is the only
> algorithm that controls load close to the target. Basically Phil's
> point.

All:

As a VOIP gateway/SBC vendor in some large networks, we have seen this
effect. For the cases I have been involved in, it has happened when
the network design has nodes arranged not is a strict hierarchy but
rather in a mesh where there are multiple paths between any two
particular
nodes and the paths are of different lengths. (As a degenerate case,
assume both A->C, and A->B->C).

For these cases, we needed to implement rate (versus loss) control (at B

in the example) since the input load at B towards C could dramatically
increase when A notices the distress at C for the direct A->C calls.
(The load at B towards A can increase for a lot of reasons but this one
happens coincident with trying to control load towards C.)

That said, it wasn't feasible to implement rate control advertisements
from C. That possibility was amply discussed in the draft and on this
email list and we agree with the conclusions. Another concern is the
addition of any complexity to the processing at C in order to track and
distribute rates per source... after all, this is the *overloaded* box.

In the end, what appears to work better (details are different but the
concept
is roughly right) is that the downstream (overloaded) node reports a
simple desired loss percentage, and the upstream uses that to *compute*
a rate towards the overloaded peer (100 -loss percentage)*(previous rate
towards that peer). In effect, the upstream node limits itself to the
loss percentage applied to the rate that produced that loss percentage.

Whether this is "allowed" by the overload draft was discussed last on
7/19/2010
sender
	> behavior

but it appears there wasn't a conclusion to this.

Cheers,
Shaun