Re: [sip-overload] draft-ietf-soc-overload-rate-control-04.txt

Janet P Gunn <jgunn6@csc.com> Wed, 10 July 2013 14:11 UTC

To: "Yu, James" <james.yu@neustar.biz>
From: Janet P Gunn <jgunn6@csc.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 10:11:36 -0400
Cc: "sip-overload-bounces@ietf.org" <sip-overload-bounces@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-soc-overload-rate-control.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-soc-overload-rate-control.all@tools.ietf.org>, "sip-overload@ietf.org" <sip-overload@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sip-overload] draft-ietf-soc-overload-rate-control-04.txt

I thought I understood that the point of this rate based algorithm ID  was
to "piggy back" on the communications  protocol parameters defined in the
loss based algorithm ID (oc, oc-algo, oc-num, oc-validity, oc-seq),
introducing new parameter VALUES, but not new parameters.

In order to convey the "current arrival rate of messages intended for you"
from the client to the server, you would need to add new parameters,  or
use existing parameters in a way that would cause problems for  the loss
based version.

Furthermore, when the client is receiving, and therefore sending, messaged
intended for this server, at a rate lower than the current specified rate
limit, the server can deduce that directly, and adjust the specific rate
limit it sends to (this or other) clients if it wants to.

I think that would be much "cleaner" (and probably more effective as
well), than adding new parameters, or making major changes to the
communications protocol in the loss based algorithm ID.

Janet