Re: [sip-overload] draft-ietf-soc-overload-rate-control-04.txt

"NOEL, ERIC C (ERIC C)" <ecnoel@research.att.com> Wed, 10 July 2013 14:34 UTC

From: "NOEL, ERIC C (ERIC C)" <ecnoel@research.att.com>
To: "'Yu, James'" <james.yu@neustar.biz>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 2013 10:34:12 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "sip-overload-bounces@ietf.org" <sip-overload-bounces@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-soc-overload-rate-control.all@tools.ietf.org" <draft-ietf-soc-overload-rate-control.all@tools.ietf.org>, "sip-overload@ietf.org" <sip-overload@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sip-overload] draft-ietf-soc-overload-rate-control-04.txt

James,

My apologies for having missed your comment.

"For the rate control, the server could calculate the arrival rate from each communicating client so that it could allocate the overall target SIP request rate to the clients based on their arrival rates known to the server. "
[EN] Yes, instead of uniformly distributed target SIP request rate across clients, the overloaded server could distributed the request rate function of the requests it gets from the clients.
In our propose we eluded to your suggestion through the following sentence (section 3.4):
"The server must allocate a portion of the target SIP request rate to each of its client. The server may set the same rate for every client, or may set different rates for different clients."

"But another option is for the client to "optionally" include its calculated arrival rate in its request to the server when rate control related parameters are present.  Should this option be evaluated/included to relieve the server from doing the arrival rate calculations.  This would be beneficial to a server when it receives the requests from many clients."
[EN] Your suggestion is currently not supported by draft-ietf-soc-overload-control (there are no parameters that would allow clients to inform server of their respective arrival rates) from which draft-ietf-soc-overload-rate-control depends upon. You may want to propose this option to draft-ietf-soc-overload-control authors. But in practice, servers estimate percent blocking or rate dynamically based on their overload state so as to have clients throttle at a level close to servers overload onset level.

Thanks,

Eric Noel
AT&T Labs, Inc.
Rethink Possible