[Sip-security] RE: SIP authentication problem when using RES in Digest-AKA

Greg Rose <ggr@qualcomm.com> Fri, 15 March 2002 01:56 UTC

Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 12:52:06 +1100
To: Sanjoy Sen <sanjoy@nortelnetworks.com>
From: Greg Rose <ggr@qualcomm.com>
Cc: 'John W Noerenberg II' <jwn2@qualcomm.com>, sipping@ietf.org, sip-security@ietf.org, Greg Rose <ggr@qualcomm.com>, aki.niemi@nokia.com, jari.arkko@ericsson.com, vesa.torvinen@ericsson.fi, James Undery <jundery@ubiquity.net>
Subject: [Sip-security] RE: SIP authentication problem when using RES in Digest-AKA
Sender: sip-security-admin@ietf.org

At 06:48 PM 3/14/2002 -0600, Sanjoy Sen wrote:

>draft-undery-sip-auth-00.txt doesn't make any recommendation as to how the
>password should be computed. However, I remember that when we took the
>proposal of using Digest for the first time to 3GPP, we had recommended
>using IK as the password.

That's right. draft-undery-sip-auth-00.txt assumes that the password is
strong, and by itself has no problems. draft-niemi-sipping-digest-aka-00
assumes that RES is used as the password only once for the authentication,
and by itself has no problems. Put the two together, and there's a problem...

BTW, my suggestion to use IK would solve this juxtaposition problem (since
a 128 bit "choke point" is not seen to be a problem), but is not seen to be
acceptable to 3GPP SA3, because that would mean that IK was to be used for
two distinct things potentially at the same time, although I don't agree
with this  argument (it seems to me that the 3GPP mechanism and
draft-undery-... can't both be used at the same time). However the
Ciphering Key CK is also available, 128 bits, and is not expected to be
used for anything. Anyway, possible solutions can be examined further.

Thanks to John Noerenberg for helping me distribute this information.

regards,
Greg.

>Sanjoy

Greg Rose                                       INTERNET: ggr@qualcomm.com
Qualcomm Australia          VOICE:  +61-2-9817 4188   FAX: +61-2-9817 5199
Level 3, 230 Victoria Road,                http://people.qualcomm.com/ggr/
Gladesville NSW 2111    232B EC8F 44C6 C853 D68F  E107 E6BF CD2F 1081 A37C