Re: [Sip] PING/PONG

Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com> Wed, 24 November 2004 14:49 UTC

From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
Subject: Re: [Sip] PING/PONG
Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2004 08:37:21 -0600
To: Jonathan Rosenberg <jdrosen@cisco.com>
Cc: sip@ietf.org, Christian Stredicke <Christian.Stredicke@snom.de>, Steve Langstaff <steve.langstaff@citel.com>
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

On Nov 24, 2004, at 1:54 AM, Jonathan Rosenberg wrote:

> Robert Sparks wrote:
>
>> This conversation just got too loose with its terminology for me.
>> 3261 proxies have a UAS core.
>
> I don't think so; the term for that is "proxy core" and is quite
> distinct from the UAS and UAC cores. Note the definition of TU:
>
>  Transaction User (TU): The layer of protocol processing that
>          resides above the transaction layer.  Transaction users
> include
>          the UAC core, UAS core, and proxy core.
>
> 3261 proxies have a server transaction (per figure 4) but thats not
> the same thing.

Fair enough - I was thinking of the role-switch proxies take on error
I'll withdraw the complaint.

>> Endpoints behind the things we are wanting to do this refresh things
>> to can be signaling
>> directly with endpoints that aren't (a service provider could let
>> people talk to voice-mail
>> or conference servers directly).
>
> I don't see how that practically works in the presence of nat. If you
> are using tcp/tls, the thing to which you have a connection open is
> the only place from which you can get subsequent requests. Thus, if I
> make a call that lands on a voicemail server, the proxy holding my
> tcp/tls connection has to be on the signaling path, or it just won't
> work.

If I can establish a tcp/tls connection to that voicemail server, then
subsequent requests from it can
come back down that connection assuming we can keep it alive.

>> While the long-lived client-to-service-provider-proxy connection is a
>> good example
>> to use for motivation, I would prefer that we ensure we build
>> something that works
>> in general.
>
> I disagree here. The original connect-reuse draft tried to address
> both the client-to-proxy and proxy-to-proxy problems and ended up
> doing neither well. We found we needed to split it because these were
> sufficiently different problems. It seems like you are suggsting that
> they are not, and that we need a single mechanism for both?
No, I'm not trying to push this back to arbitrary node to arbitrary
node. I am trying to push it closer to UAC to arbitrary node.
And I'm only talking about keeping the connection alive, which is a
different problem than figuring out what SIP thing is
on each end so you can affect routing choices (which is a big part of
what's been making connection-reuse hard).

>> The DNS solution would work for those the services I call out above.
>> I'm not yet sure
>> if its the right way to go.
>
> The other alternative I suppose is to use a URI parameter ala
> draft-ietf-sip-compression. Something like keepalive=stun. Thus, a
> preloaded route header for a proxy that supports it would look like:
>
> sip:outbound.proxy.com;keepalive=stun
>
> This is arguably superior for exactly the same reasons we shied away
> from putting sigcomp into dns - you get this combinatorial explosion
> of records, since sigcomp and stun as well could both be used in any
> transport.

Agreed.