RE: [Sip] draft-kaplan-sip-info-use-cases-00 - more use cases?

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens.com> Wed, 09 January 2008 20:50 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 20:50:45 +0000
From: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens.com>
Subject: RE: [Sip] draft-kaplan-sip-info-use-cases-00 - more use cases?
To: Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
Cc: IETF SIP List <sip@ietf.org>

Dean,

Thanks for your comments. More below.

John

[JRE] Not very different, except that it is correlated to the dialog
without having to do extra work such as using Target-Dialog. Whether
dependence on GRUU is seen as a significant problem I am not sure.

> > 2. We already have the conference event package for obtaining
> > conference
> > membership details. In many situations the conference focus
> is also
> > the
> > source of such notifications, so the subscribe-initiated dialog
> > parallels the INVITE-initiate dialog, which is rather wasteful. It
> > would
> > be great to subscribe as part of the INVITE transaction and receive
> > notifications along the INVITE-initiated dialog.
>
> I like this one a lot. It could rip a LOT of the overhead out of
> conference setup, especially for conferences with restricted
> functionality.
>
> A variant of this is synchronized browsing within the conference --
> INFO messages that convey the current URL that should be rendered.
[JRE] Another good one.

> > 3. Concerning mobility, I like the suggestion in 6.8 (geo-location
> > information). Also, there may sometimes be intermediaries on the
> > signalling path (B2BUAs) that are involved in mobility in
> some way,
> > and
> > these might be interested in movement-related notifications (e.g., a
> > dual mode device moving in or out of WLAN range).
> >
> > 4. The use of offer-answer to achieve hold-retrieve fails to give an
> > explicit indication of what is happening. An explicit indication of
> > things like hold, retrieve, microphone mute, speaker mute, camera
> > on/off, recorder on/off, etc. might be quite helpful. Of
> course, there
> > will normally be an offer-answer exchange at the same time, so
> > inclusion
> > of the notification in a re-INVITE or UPDATE request might be more
> > useful than using INFO.
>
> I suspect adding something to the reINVITE to convey explicit
> semantics would be much better than an INFO here.
[JRE] Yes. I guess what I am driving at is that if we had a
INVITE-initiated dialog notification mechanism, it should not be
restricted to INFO, but should be applicable to other mid-dialog methods
where appropriate, e.g., re-INVITE, UPDATE, BYE.

> > 5. Concerning 6.7 (soft-key labels), a problem here is that the
> > notifying UA might not have knowledge of soft key
> availability at the
> > receiving UA. In certain closed environments (e.g.,
> involving a UA and
> > its local voicemail server) it may work, but I am not sure
> it would
> > work
> > well in general. Having said that, where it does work, perhaps other
> > parameters at the device can be controlled in this way, e.g.,
> > microphone
> > and speaker volume (especially if this control is based on say a web
> > interface, so the user is really controlling his/her own
> settings from
> > the web page rather than directly on the device).
>
> A soft-key INFO package would need to describe availability. This is
> a fundamental problem from KPML, and to the extent it is solvable by
> KPML in a SUBSCRIBE dialog, it should be solvable in an INVITE dialog.
>

> > 6. When a B2BUA performs 3PCC there is plenty of scope for
> the UAs to
> > lose track of what is happening. For example, when a B2BUA holds,
> > retrieves, transfers calls, joins calls, pre-empts calls, etc.,
> > there is
> > currently no explicit information - only perhaps a
> re-INVITE request.
> > Thus it can be difficult to know how to interpret things like
> > identity.
> > Say a UA receives a re-INVITE request with a new PAI, it
> might deduce
> > that something like call transfer has occurred. However, if it
> > receives
> > a re-INVITE request without a PAI, does it mean the previous PAI is
> > still valid, or does it mean, following transfer, there is no
> > longer any
> > identity available? Of course, INFO might not always be the most
> > appropriate method to use for such notification if an offer-answer
> > exchange is needed at the same time.
>
> I'm thinking this is totally NOT an INFO problem. If it needs to be
> solved, it needs to happen in the 3PCC reINVITE sequence.
[JRE] In general, yes. I am not sure whether there are any exceptions
where INFO might still fit.