Re: [Sip] On The Essentialness of Corrections

Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com> Sat, 15 December 2007 18:27 UTC

From: Dean Willis <dean.willis@softarmor.com>
Subject: Re: [Sip] On The Essentialness of Corrections
Date: Sat, 15 Dec 2007 12:27:07 -0600
To: "Vijay K. Gurbani" <vkg@alcatel-lucent.com>
Cc: IETF SIP List <sip@ietf.org>

On Dec 14, 2007, at 3:11 PM, Vijay K. Gurbani wrote:

> Dean Willis wrote:
>> I'd actually like to see us go beyond the batching of "essential
>> corrections" and start maintaining complete and fully-revised
>> versions of the normative behaviors as internet drafts, perhaps
>> occasionally publishing them as RFCs that replace the older versions.
>
> We are still talking the sip-essential-correction model here, right?
> Or is what you propose above a new model?

It's the "logical product" of the essential corrections process.

Each draft in the essential corrections process has to specify line-
by-line changes to the RFC it is correcting. If we were to extract
those changes and apply them to the source, we would get the
"tracking draft" I'm talking about.

>> So for example with RFC 3261, we'd maintain a
>> "draft-ietf-sip-rfc3261-bis" that would start as a copy of RFC 3261
>> (with current boilerplate, of course) and then be edited to reflect
>> the changes documented in each "essential correction" we agree to.
>> Then instead of telling implementors to go read RFC 3261 plus a dozen
>> more potentially conflicting revision documents, we could just say
>> "see draft-ietf-sip-rfc3261-bis-xx".
>
> Isn't that what we essentially did with rfc2543-bis set of drafts?
> Of course, the domain of influence of SIP back then was a bit more
> limited than it is now.

Not really. The 2543-bis work was more traditional draft editing. The
various editors would get input, make changes to the draft, then we'd
review the changes and maybe accept them or back them out or change
them again.

In the extended essential corrections process, we'd formally review
and reach consensus on each change before committing the change into
the -bis document. So every -bis document would reflect WG consensus
on the changes at any given time.

--
Dean