RE: [Sip] Open Issue #58: Rejected mid-call SDP in 2xx

"Brett Tate" <brett@broadsoft.com> Fri, 07 September 2001 22:27 UTC

From: Brett Tate <brett@broadsoft.com>
To: 'Jonathan Rosenberg' <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>
Cc: sip@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Sip] Open Issue #58: Rejected mid-call SDP in 2xx
Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2001 18:05:33 -0400
Sender: sip-admin@ietf.org

> I suppose that we could say that its a MUST to use the
> existing SDP if you
> know it. A UA that sends a re-INVITE w/o SDP MUST be prepared
> for SDP that
> may be different for the reason you describe. Hopefully its something
> acceptable. If its not, BYE the call. I don't think we can
> reasonably do
> better. We're already talking about the case where the UA has
> failed and
> recovered.
>
> Sound OK?

Sounds fine if the above text also includes
the portion from your original recommendation
concerning the connection address and port
potentially changing.  This would specifically
be for those devices that respond to holds
with holds.  I guess that it would also have
to accommodate for the new hold SDP format
that is being discussed.

The "MUST" also prevents a 3PCC/B2BUA from
using a re-INVITE without SDP to potentially
get the UA to send an SDP with all media that
it would like to use.  However I guess that
this is acceptable since the 3PCC shouldn't be
a necessary interface to establish these extra
media streams for an established call.