Re: [Sip] geoloc implementation (Was: SIPit 20 survey summary)

jh@tutpro.com (Juha Heinanen) Mon, 30 April 2007 05:18 UTC

Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2007 08:18:15 +0300
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Sip] geoloc implementation (Was: SIPit 20 survey summary)
From: jh@tutpro.com
Cc: sip@ietf.org

Paul Kyzivat writes:

 > Regarding those suggesting adopting the xmpp solution: how do you
 > propose to incorporate it into a sip message? The most obvious answer is
 > to incorporate it as a body part - still requiring multipart. XMPP has
 > the advantage that already supports the moral equivalent of
 > multipart.

multipart is not a big deal to me, but 2027 lines of specification to
read and implement is.

Dale.Worley@comcast.net writes:

 > In regard to the complexity of the solution, a UA that provides geoloc
 > data (once it had some) would seem to have a fairly simple task,
 > formatting the data into a preselected body.  Even multipart-MIME XML
 > is simple if one knows in advance the skeleton.
 >
 > The PSAPs, of course, are stuck parsing and interpreting all possible
 > formats.  That's a hard job, but on the other hand, PSAPs are built by
 > a small number of vendors who will be highly motivated to do a good
 > job.  (And PSAPs are willing to pay for this.)

you try to say that only PSAPs need to deal with complexity.  that is a
big lie.  there has already been message on this list saying that also
provider and enterprise SIP proxies need to examine and add stuff to the
location data.

to SIP WG management:

you should not disallow discussion on the madness of the resulted
internet draft as whole.  even if GW accepted a charter item, the end
result of the work CAN BE that the requirements led to a too complex
solution that is not implementable in sip proxies in any reasonable
amount of work and that the project needs to be re-charted.

-- juha