Re: [Sip] Review of draft-kupwade-sip-iba-00

Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com> Wed, 27 February 2008 06:49 UTC

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
To: Eric Rescorla <ekr@networkresonance.com>, "sip@ietf.org" <sip@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2008 01:47:23 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "draft-kupwade-sip-iba@tools.ietf.org" <draft-kupwade-sip-iba@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Sip] Review of draft-kupwade-sip-iba-00
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

Cool.
So if I understand this right (and I probably don't), ignoring rfc4474 identity and IBS for a moment and instead thinking about SRTP and IBE: I could use IBE to encrypt the security-descriptions attribute value using the intended target's SIP URI as a key, and only someone owning that URI (and sharing the same KG) or the KG itself could decrypt it to learn the sec-desc cleartext to use?

-hadriel
p.s. the KG would actually be a problem for IBE, wouldn't it?  I mean the KG can always decrypt it. (at which point they would be the Key Generator Backdoor - aka, the KGB ;)