[Sip] -resource-priority-05.txt: Comments and Recommendations

"Corey W. Alexander" <coreya@nortelnetworks.com> Thu, 11 November 2004 23:11 UTC

Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2004 17:49:32 -0500
From: "Corey W. Alexander" <coreya@nortelnetworks.com>
To: sip@ietf.org
Subject: [Sip] -resource-priority-05.txt: Comments and Recommendations
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

This should spur some discussion...  I'd rather send this directly to
the authors, but to keep everything out in the open...

I spoke briefly with Mr. Polk following the IEPREP session on Tuesday.
I had three general questions.  I'm paraphrasing the responses, and so
invite James to correct me if I'm misrepresenting him here.

1. Why support multiple namespace/priority (n-p) values in a single
message, in one or more R-P headers?  And if supported, should not the
n-p values in the message equate to the same priority level (for
example, dsn.flash and q735.1 would be equal)?  Would it not be better
to support only one n-p value per message, and recommend that a
proxy/gateway between networks supporting two different namespaces
handle mapping n-p values?
---- There may be/are networks which would support multiple levels.  The
draft is not dictating that there must be multiple levels.
---- As for having the n-p levels be "equal", James cited a GETS call
with a specific precedence which becomes a Routine call on the DSN.
---- Having a proxy/gateway mapped between namespaces is an viable
alternative.

2. Is it wise or valid to explicitly allow a proxy to "upgrade" or
"downgrade" the  n-p values in a message?
---- I'm coming at this from the DSN perspective, but wps and/or ets may
allow this kind of thing.  While the DSN/DSRN/(Q735) would not, that
does not invalidate the concept.

3. With "preferential treatment" of messages based on R-P content,
should not scenarios be considered and listed in which a lower priority
message  would need to be handled before a higher priority message?  My
example: it would be wise to handle a BYE message with dsn.routine
before an INVITE with dsn.flash-override...  At least in certain
situations, say when the BYE is sent as a result of a preemption event
(which the Reason header should likely indicate).
---- Certainly something to consider, especially for DSN.

Having witnessed the majority of the discussion on this draft in the
final SIP session, and stepping back from the questions I had, it occurs
to me that, while the information presented is not invalid, it is
certainly confusing, to a varying degree.  In my opinion, the confusion
comes from trying to define (describe/outline, whatever) the behavior of
the various namespaces, while at the same time intending to keep draft
general, and the use of the R-P header open to those who implement it.

Right before the comments on this draft were brought to a close, the
thread was leading to there ultimately being independent documents which
would describe the overall behavior of networks which implement one or
more of these namespaces.

RECOMMENDATION:  Any namespace-specific behaviors should be relegated to
documents specific to the namespaces themselves.  For instance, there
are currently a number of documents, and certainly other to come,
dealing with the requirements/architecture/implementation of Assured
Service (MLPP in IP):
draft-baker-tsvwg-mlpp-that-works-02.txt
draft-pierce-tsvwg-assured-service-req-01.txt
draft-pierce-tsvwg-assured-service-arch-01.txt
draft-pierce-tsvwg-pref-treat-examples-01.txt

It is in documents like these - more specifically, documents specific to
expected behaviors - where the use of the R-P header should ultimately
be laid out.

I would like to see the R-P draft limited to
- a general description of what the header is: What is a namespace?
What is the priority values mean?  Why is it needed?  Basically,
background and definitions, but NOT explicit behaviors.
- the format of the Resource-Priority header
- 417 response code
- error conditions
--- If the R-P header is not supported: 420
--- If the n-p value is not supported or unknown: 417
*** This document does not have to define those circumstances in which
each defined namespace considers the n-p value unsupported.
- A MINIMUM number of namespaces.
*** I would recommend providing only a single generic namespace, with 5,
6, whatever, priority values, and leave the actual namespace definitions
(dsn, dsrn, ets, wps; and q735, if necessary) to documents specific to
those namespaces/architectures.

This would remove all of the confusion.  No need to describe the
behaviors expected with the current namespaces, let applications
specific to the namespaces to that.

Further, the document could then keep the strict, semi-strict, and loose
mode concepts intact (or with modification) without interfering with
existing behaviors in the current namespaces.  New namespaces, when
defined, can align themselves with these modes, or define their own
behaviors.

Finally, since preferential treatment of messages would likely find
greater use outside of a private network than preemption, I would also
recommend one more thing.  If the suggestion of a single generic
namespace in this draft is taken, behaviors surrounding the concept of
preferential treatment should be included for this namespace.

Digest and comment.

--
Corey W. Alexander