RE: [Sip] RE: Open Issue #138: to fork, or not to fork

Tan Ya-Ching ICM N MC MI E73 <Ya-Ching.Tan@icn.siemens.de> Mon, 10 September 2001 10:36 UTC

From: Tan Ya-Ching ICM N MC MI E73 <Ya-Ching.Tan@icn.siemens.de>
To: 'Jonathan Rosenberg' <jdrosen@dynamicsoft.com>, "'sip@ietf.org'" <sip@ietf.org>
Subject: RE: [Sip] RE: Open Issue #138: to fork, or not to fork
Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2001 11:51:34 +0200
Sender: sip-admin@ietf.org

I too am not going to propose the removal of forking, but I have some
questions regarding forking which I think should be resolved in the bis
draft.

I posted the following mail almost a month ago and have not received any
response. So here I reformulate the questions :

1) If a forking proxy can silently discard 4xx/5xx responses to
   early call legs because there were 2xx, 3xx or 6xx responses,
   how would the UAC know if an early call leg is still alive? There
   may be resources reserved for the early call leg and the UAC
   does not know if a 2xx response is still to come.

2) So a UAC can be unaware that an early call leg has been
    terminated by the UAS as the 4xx/5xx was 'swallowed' by
    the forking proxy. What happens if the UAC tries the terminate
    such an early call leg with a BYE (with a To tag), or if the UAC
    tries to send requests such as PRACK or INFO (with To tag)
    on such an early call leg? Would the proxy respond with 481
    (Transaction Does Not Exist) ?

3) The last paragraph of the following mail proposed a re-wording of
    the forking section of bis-04. What is your opinion on this
    proposal ?

- Ya-Ching