Re: [Sip-implementors] [Sip] SIPit 20 survey summary

"Mark R. Lindsey" <lindsey@e-c-group.com> Sat, 28 April 2007 20:13 UTC

From: "Mark R. Lindsey" <lindsey@e-c-group.com>
Subject: Re: [Sip-implementors] [Sip] SIPit 20 survey summary
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 16:13:20 -0400
To: Jeroen van Bemmel <jbemmel@zonnet.nl>
Cc: discussion@sipforum.org, IETF SIP List <sip@ietf.org>, Robert Sparks <rjsparks@estacado.net>, Juha Heinanen <jh@tutpro.com>, sip-implementors@cs.columbia.edu

It is much more reasonable to expect the service-provider/enterprise
to implement the location conveyance. They'd add the location in
their proxies/B2BUAs/ALGs. For example, an enterprise building ALG
could add its location before sending the call to an SP.

(Hah! Another obvious idea made un-patentable.)

In addition, it's the service provider that will likely perform SIP
peering with a PSAP. In the US, that's the typical model in already.
Service providers sometimes already know where their users are. Yes,
yes, I know this isn't the main point of location-conveyance.

But besides all of this: we've got to get the PSAPs capable of
reliably using the location provided in the call. The capability to
send the location will be far simpler than actually having a PSAP
that can accept and use it.

On Apr 28, 2007, at 5:19 AM, Jeroen van Bemmel wrote:

> Especially for the use case of emergency calls, would it not be
> wise to
> select a much more simple approach/syntax, e.g.:
> Emergency-Location: lat=x; lon=y

The location-by-"reference" (i.e., provide a URI to a PIDF-LO instead
of carrying the document itself) should do what you need here. Many
UACs already have HTTP servers, which would be compatible with such a
system, maintain end-to-end privacy requirements. Or the SUBSCRIBE-
NOTIFY version of PIDF-LO retrieval could easily be implemented with
a partial multipart-mime implementation, and it could work even
through proxies.

On Apr 28, 2007, at 5:35 AM, Juha Heinanen wrote:

> another reason why it will not get implemented is that sip uas don't
> know where they are located.  gps does not work well indoors and
> mobile
> operators at least here have refused to make public coordinates of
> their
> base stations.

Other location-sensing technology may come along, now that there are
good reasons for it.

Mark R. Lindsey  | ECG |  +1-229-316-0013  |  lindsey@e-c-group.com