RE: [Sip] Support for Multipart/MIME

Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com> Wed, 09 May 2007 20:23 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 13:22:53 -0700
To: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>, "'Christer Holmberg (JO/LMF)'" <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>, Dale.Worley@comcast.net
From: Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com>
Subject: RE: [Sip] Support for Multipart/MIME
Cc: sip@ietf.org

At 2:40 PM -0500 5/9/07, James M. Polk wrote:
>It's possible/probable/obvious (depending on who you talk to) that multipart will have to be supported for emergency calling, in which there is an SDP body and a Location message body...
>
>This doesn't mean UAs that *don't* establish voice/video dialogs will have to support multipart, just for those UAs that do establish voice/video dialogs with emergency response centers (again, depending on who you talk to).

That won't be multipart/alternative, though, as the location body and the SDP body
won't be alternatives but independent items.   I think they would be
multipart/mixed.  See this from RFC 2046:

5.1.3.  Mixed Subtype

   The "mixed" subtype of "multipart" is intended for use when the body
   parts are independent and need to be bundled in a particular order.
   Any "multipart" subtypes that an implementation does not recognize
   must be treated as being of subtype "mixed".

5.1.4.  Alternative Subtype

   The "multipart/alternative" type is syntactically identical to
   "multipart/mixed", but the semantics are different.  In particular,
   each of the body parts is an "alternative" version of the same
   information.

<snip>
				Ted