Re: [Sip] Need for RPH in SIP Responses

Jeroen van Bemmel <jbemmel@zonnet.nl> Wed, 21 November 2007 22:59 UTC

Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2007 23:59:32 +0100
From: Jeroen van Bemmel <jbemmel@zonnet.nl>
To: "DOLLY, MARTIN C, ATTLABS" <mdolly@att.com>
Subject: Re: [Sip] Need for RPH in SIP Responses
Cc: sip@ietf.org, "Sandesara, Niranjan B" <nsandesa@telcordia.com>

Martin,

It appears we have a different view on what constitutes the Internet -
perhaps because I am not from the US. In any case, I was referring to
the Internet as a whole, exactly as in RFC3455:

The SIP extensions specified in this document make certain
   assumptions regarding network topology, linkage between SIP and lower
   layers, and the availability of transitive trust.  These assumptions
   are generally NOT APPLICABLE in the Internet as a whole.

The proposed mechanism is only secure under assumptions that do not hold
in the Internet as a whole. It is not only a minor change from the
current RPH usage, as draft-polk-sip-rph-in-responses-00 tries to say
("The only new security threat...")

To me, there are 3 things that could happen:
1. ignore/accept it and generate an RFC
2. define additional security measures to mitigate
3. consider a different solution

Regards,
Jeroen