Re: [Sip] -resource-priority-05.txt: Comments and Recommendations (1)

Janet P Gunn <jgunn6@csc.com> Mon, 15 November 2004 20:39 UTC

Subject: Re: [Sip] -resource-priority-05.txt: Comments and Recommendations (1)
To: David R Oran <oran@cisco.com>
From: Janet P Gunn <jgunn6@csc.com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2004 15:33:28 -0500
Cc: An.Nguyen@ncs.gov, sip@ietf.org, "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, sip-bounces@ietf.org, Mpierce1@aol.com
Sender: sip-bounces@ietf.org

The .03 draft (and I think also the .04 draft) had a paragraph that said
   "Namespaces do not describe how they relate to other existing
   namespaces, as each namespace is independent of other registrations."

It doesn't seem to be in .05

Maybe it, or something like it, should be put back in.

Janet

for such purpose.

                      David R Oran
                      <oran                    To:      "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
                      @cisco.com>              cc:      An.Nguyen@ncs.gov, sip@ietf.org, Mpierce1@aol.com
                      Sent by:                 Subject: Re: [Sip] -resource-priority-05.txt: Comments and
                      sip-bounces              Recommendations (1)

                      11/15/2004 02:43
                      PM

On Nov 15, 2004, at 2:01 PM, James M. Polk wrote:

> Where is "mapping between namespaces" specified in the document now?
>
> I do not believe there is such a sentence/comment/statement, and there
> should not be one, so why was this brought up?

If somebody reads the doc expecting to see something and it isn't
there, two possibilities obtain:
(a) they don't "get it"
(b) a reasonable person might think that function a natural one to be
handled, but that's not the approach we took in designing this beastie.

The case at hand seems closer to (b) than (a), so I see no harm in
saying that namespaces are orthogonal as far as the specification is
concerned, and while it may be possible to map behavior between
namespaces, this document doesn't tell you how, and that's intentional.

Dave.

> At 03:22 PM 11/12/2004 -0500, Mpierce1@aol.com wrote:
>> In a message dated 11/12/2004 11:58:14 AM Eastern Standard Time,
>> An.Nguyen@ncs.gov writes:
>>

>>> Can we just add a sentence to the draft saying mapping between
>>> namespaces is out of scope and it should be addressed separately?
>>

>> Yes, such a statement would be fine, but it should be along with a
>> statement that all interrelationship between namespaces is out of
>> scope.
>>
>> Mike
>> This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
>> Use sip-implementors@cs.columbia.edu for questions on current sip
>> Use sipping@ietf.org for new developments on the application of sip
>

> cheers,
> James

> This list is for NEW development of the core SIP Protocol
> Use sip-implementors@cs.columbia.edu for questions on current sip
> Use sipping@ietf.org for new developments on the application of sip

David R. Oran
Cisco Fellow