RE: [Sip] Support for Multipart/MIME

"Christer Holmberg \(JO/LMF\)" <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com> Fri, 11 May 2007 04:13 UTC

Subject: RE: [Sip] Support for Multipart/MIME
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 06:13:17 +0200
From: "Christer Holmberg (JO/LMF)" <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
To: Dan Wing <dwing@cisco.com>, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Cc: sip@ietf.org

Hi,

>* if they're out of sync, which one takes precedence (that
>is, do I process a Content-Type that isn't listed in the
>Content-Type-List?)

The Content-Type contains "multipart/*", while the Content-Type-List
contains the types (app/sdp, app/isup, app/whatever etc) within that
multipart.

Please note that I am talking about SIP headers, not in the MIME bodies
(of course, if a MIME body contains another multipart/*, the header
could perhaps also be used there).

>* if a UA knew an intermediate box used Content-Type-List,
>the UA could use Content-Type-List to make the intermediate
>box think some sort of Content-Type is not present.  That
>additional content-type might contain the secret of the
>universe, which the intermediate box really needed to know.

Well, this depends on the functionality of the middle-box.

If the middle-box is going to do some kind of policing, or otherwise
verify that the multipart actually contains what is claimed in the
Content-Type-List, it will have to parse the multipart anyway.

>* looking for "^Content-Type *:" isn't too hard; you don't
>really need to bother parsing MIME and looking for nested
>parts unless there is, in fact, a content-type you care
>about.  Per Paul's message, if you only want ones with
>within 4-5 lines of Content-Type; if you found it, then you
>could parse the MIME in the body.

I don't think it's that easy. Assume one MIME body contains a SIP
message (or part of a SIP message), or any other protocol which uses the
Content-Type header, which is not the Content-Type header of the MIME
body itself. The same goes for Content-Disposition.

Regards,

Christer