Re: [sipcore] UPDATE, reINVITE rejections, and session-state rollback

Byron Campen <bcampen@estacado.net> Thu, 14 October 2010 14:05 UTC

From: Byron Campen <bcampen@estacado.net>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 2010 09:06:50 -0500
To: Gonzalo Camarillo <Gonzalo.Camarillo@ericsson.com>
Cc: "shinji.okumura@softfront.jp" <shinji.okumura@softfront.jp>, SIPCORE <sipcore@ietf.org>, "gao.yang2@zte.com.cn" <gao.yang2@zte.com.cn>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] UPDATE, reINVITE rejections, and session-state rollback

	Alright, that's pretty clear. Now, there is still the question of what happens when the UAS is aware of the specification, but is forced to send a 500 or similar anyway, and then the 500 crosses the UPDATE on the wire, like so:

                    |        /-| INVITE/500
                    |<-----/---| UPDATE (re-sync offer)
UPDATE/200 (answer) |----/---->|

	We cannot use the ACK for the 500, since it is hop-by-hop, and if the UAC doesn't re-sync, UAS's attempt to re-sync fails. Are we content with saying that the UAS cannot recover from this? We _could_ avoid this problem by having a rule that says "If you're the UAS, and you rejected the reINVITE with already executed offer/answer changes, you MUST send your re-sync offer in an INVITE", since the other end will reject our re-sync if it beats the 500.

Best regards,
Byron Campen