Re: [sipcore] Location Conveyance -04 submitted, here's the changes

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com> Wed, 27 October 2010 13:16 UTC

From: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, "sipcore@ietf.org" <sipcore@ietf.org>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 15:17:53 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [sipcore] Location Conveyance -04 submitted, here's the changes

I am happy to see that http and https are added as schemes in locationURI. However, looking at 4.6, I am still uncomfortable that SIP-, SIPS- and PRES-URI are recommended and but HTTP- and HTTPS-URI are not recommended (by virtue of the fact they are only MAY strength, for use when one disregards the SHOULD for SIP-, SIPS- and PRES-).

We had an earlier thread starting here:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/sipcore/current/msg03149.html
in which questions were asked about what one must support. The text in 4.6 says nothing about what a LR must support. The implication is that it either has two support all of the 5 schemes listed for sending in a request, or it can choose which to support and reject any that it doesn't support.

In practice, as pointed out on the thread, the schemes effectively boil down to 2 mechanisms: SIP and HTTP (if we for now ignore the absoluteURI option, which effectively leaves it open ended). So perhaps it is not unreasonable to mandate support for all 5 schemes (both mechanisms) by a recipient, although it does raise the bar somewhat for recipient implementations. I recall there was some interest on the thread in limiting to a single MUST support, and some interest in that scheme being HTTP(S). I am not sure we reached consensus on this. I don't have a strong opinion, but we certainly need some text to clarify things one way or the other.

Furthermore, it is unclear which code to use in a 494 response when rejecting an unsupported scheme - presumably the top level 400, but that says nothing about why dereference failed. Even if all the named schemes were MUST support (so you would never reject these), there could be other schemes under absoluteURI that you would want to reject.

John