Re: [sipcore] Location Conveyance -04 submitted, here's the changes

"James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com> Fri, 29 October 2010 00:45 UTC

Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2010 19:47:41 -0500
To: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>, "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, "sipcore@ietf.org" <sipcore@ietf.org>
From: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] Location Conveyance -04 submitted, here's the changes

At 01:23 AM 10/28/2010, Elwell, John wrote:

> [...]

If others agree, I'm ok with making LRs supporting this spec have to
support a or a group of schemes. I think this will easily get
facetime during the preso in SIPCORE to get high BW feedback too.

> > effectively
> > all 5 schemes

> > being HTTP(S).
> > things one way

> > response when
> > level 400, but
> > reject these),

> > was to limit
> > actionable ones. At
> > set included
> > and which
> > (and maybe
> > response that
> > detailed in

> > about what do
> > HTTP:/HTTPS:
> > >[JRE] Sorry, 494 was a typo, I meant 424. What sort of holes would
> > >you have if you specified 401, say, as "URI scheme not
> > >supported"?  I guess one difficulty is what does the UAC do about
> > >it, if it doesn't have the means for obtaining a reference with a
> > >different URI. Was that the sort of hole you had in mind?
> >
> > [jmp] Jon and I talked specifically about adding a 401 "URI scheme
> > not supported", but his point was "what does that really tell you?"
> > and I tried to plead that it would mean that this scheme (set) (i.e.,
> > SIP based or HTTP based) wasn't supported, and to send the other
> > scheme (set). His counter was that what happens when there is more
> > than one scheme set to choose from, then what does a 401 really mean
> > that a 400 doesn't already? I didn't really have a good answer for
> > that one. In other words, if we're only ever going to have a choice
> > between SIP and HTTP, then the 401 would work. Once you have a 3rd
> > (or more) choice, it all falls apart.
>[JRE] I would say that there would be a distinction between 401 (I
>don't know how to deal with that scheme because I don't support it)
>and 400 (which would include things like error response to the
>SIP/HTTP request, or dereference yielded a location that I couldn't
>interpret (unless that is a 100), etc.).

I see the distinction, but to let you know, I'm not the one who
really needs convincing among the editor team. Jon is fairly open
about being opposed to have a bunch of error codes, but I personally
think the list below is what I would do if it were up to me now. I
think that is concise, has no ambiguity or room for error (pardon the pun).

James