Re: [sipcore] #9: What should an SBC do when it resolves registered contacts?

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com> Mon, 30 August 2010 19:49 UTC

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2010 15:49:35 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
To: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
Cc: "sipcore@ietf.org" <sipcore@ietf.org>, sipcore issue tracker <trac@tools.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] #9: What should an SBC do when it resolves registered contacts?

[ as individual ]

Hadriel Kaplan wrote:
> Right, but the subtle difference is that in the SBC case what the UAS wants to find is the AoR it registered for, which is (probably) the first non-"rc" entry prior to the series of "rc" entries at the end.  Like this:
> History-Info: <sip:john.smith@ssp.com>
> History-Info: <sip:foo@10.1.1.1>;rc
> History-Info: <sip:bar@192.168.1.2>;rc
>
> Whereas in a chain of AoR's, it would be looking for the one it registered which *is* "rc" tagged, like this:
> History-Info: <sip:jsmith@ssp.co.uk>
> History-Info: <sip:john.smith@ssp.com>;rc
> History-Info: <sip:bar@192.168.1.2>;rc
>
> Right?

!!! RAT HOLE ALERT !!!

I think we are going to get into serious trouble if we start discussing
how an SBC should behave WRT HI.

Given their frequent use to do topology hiding, I would expect to see
lots of entries to be removed, or altered. In *this* case the UAS is on
the side the SBC is protecting, so maybe it would all still be there,
but its hard to predict what some hypothetical SBC will do.

	Thanks,
	Paul