Re: [sipcore] draft-ietf-sipcore-keep - Peter's comments

Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com> Tue, 03 August 2010 15:59 UTC

From: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2010 18:00:06 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: SIPCORE <sipcore@ietf.org>, Peter Musgrave <peter.musgrave@magorcorp.com>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] draft-ietf-sipcore-keep - Peter's comments

Hi,

>>> You really need to consider reliable and unreliable provisionals separately.
>>>
>>> Either restrict to reliable responses (provisional or final), or else
>>> allow in unreliable provisionals preceding a reliable response. (Which
>>> might get it going sooner.)
>>>
>>> As we have seen with o/a, allowing in unreliable provisionals introduces
>>> complications, especially when changing values are used.
>>
>> You are right. I was thinking about that, but must have forgot when I put the text together...
>>
>> The text should say that the parameter needs to be inserted in at least one response that is sent reliably. I see no reason to forbid to, in addition, also include it in unreliable responses.
>>
>> So, something like:
>>
>>        "In the case of an INVITE request, if a SIP entity sends or forwards multiple responses (provisional and final) associated with the
>>        request, and it indicates willingness to receive keep-alives, it only needs to insert a "keep" parameter value in one response that is sent
>>        reliably. The SIP entity MAY insert the parameter value also in other responses (relaible and unreliable) associated with the request.
>>       The SIP entity SHOULD indicate the willingess to receive keep-alives as soon as possible."
>
>You have to be very careful with the wording here.
>(Speaking after bad experience with o/a.) The above doesn't say that the
>value must be the same if sent more than once, or what should happen if
>it is not the same. How about:
>
>"A SIP entity receiving an initial INVITE request and wishing to
>indicate a willingness to receive keep-alives, MUST insert a "keep"
>parameter value in one reliable response to the INVITE. The SIP entity
>MAY insert an identical "keep" parameter value in other responses to the
>same INVITE. The SIP entity MUST NOT insert "keep" parameters with
>differing values in responses to a single INVITE. The SIP entity SHOULD
>indicate the willingness to receive keep-alives as soon as possible."

Looks good. I did some editorial changes, to allign with the style in the rest of the documents. I also changed the text a little, to make sure it doesn't look like an INVITE response is the only way of indicating willingess to receive keep-alives.

Also, I removed "initial", because the negotion could take place in a target refresh re-INVITE (assuming no negotiation has taken place before that).

How about:

"When a SIP entity indicates willingness to receive keep-alives in a response to an INVITE request, it MUST insert a "keep" parameter in one reliable response to the INVITE.
The SIP entity MAY insert an identical "keep" parameter value in other responses to the same INVITE. The SIP entity MUST NOT insert "keep" parameters with
differing values in responses to a single INVITE. The SIP entity SHOULD indicate the willingness to receive keep-alives as soon as possible."

Regards,

Christer