Re: [sipcore] Reviewers needed for new music-on-hold technique

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com> Fri, 22 October 2010 00:20 UTC

Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2010 20:21:51 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
To: Dale Worley <dworley@nortel.com>
Cc: sipcore@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sipcore] Reviewers needed for new music-on-hold technique

[as individual]

Dale,

This is quite nice. You have covered a lot of obscure cases.

Obviously the constraint about reusing payload numbers is problematic. I
think we should consider the possibility of relaxing it, though I don't
know if we can get away with that after the fact or not.

ISTM that the fundamental reason for such a constraint is transient.
When you have an existing session and then modify it, the change in the
signaling and the change in the media packets do not happen
synchronously. So when you make the offer you must be ready to receive
media based on the new offer while you are still receiving media on the
old offer. Similarly for sending.

If the codec associated with a payload type is changed then when a
packet arrives it will be impossible to know which codec applies for it.

So, for a particular o/a exchange I think this rule must hold. But once
that is in effect, and we know all media according to the old o/a has
cleared the system, those old payload numbers no longer need be
reserved. In reasonable cases, things should stabilize from one o/a
before another o/a begins. (Though we can probably contrive a case where
this is not so.)

Would such a change be sufficient to simplify the problems you have been
dealing with in this draft?

	Thanks,
	Paul