Re: [sipcore] draft-kaplan-sip-session-id-02

<L.Liess@telekom.de> Fri, 17 July 2009 13:51 UTC

Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 15:52:00 +0200
From: L.Liess@telekom.de
To: Peter.Dawes@vodafone.com
Cc: HKaplan@acmepacket.com, sipcore@ietf.org, dworley@nortel.com, R.Jesske@telekom.de, Martin.Huelsemann@telekom.de
Subject: Re: [sipcore] draft-kaplan-sip-session-id-02

Peter,

Currently we have a B2BUA (instead of a proxy) and a PSTN gateway.
One of the reasons for using a B2BUA is to avoid that the callee knows the IP-address of the caller.(This requirement came in from the guys dealing with security and privacy.) So, there are two different dialogs with two different Call-IDs on both sides of the B2BUA.

The monitoring is done for every network element. All incomming and outgoing messages are written in logfiles by the monitoring system. These logfiles have nothing in common with the logfiles generated by the network elements. The logfiles are used:
 1)by the operation people, to identify failures (debugging)
 2)by the security people, to trace calls in case they suspect that user passwords were stolen.
 3)for billing, as a verification in case of discrepancies between the DT accounting data and the accounting data of the customer ( private customers or other carriers)

In principle, we need a mean to convey the Call-ID of the A-side dialog in the B-side messages, in order to be able to corelate the A-side dialog with the B-side dialog. This is what the Session-ID does. Because we down't want the callee to know the IP-address of the caller, the B2BUA hashes the Call-ID before writing it in the Session-ID. The monitoring system has to know the hash key.

Kind regards
Laura