Re: [sipcore] Why doesn't 4244bis cover Marianne's use-case?

Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com> Fri, 12 November 2010 03:31 UTC

From: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
To: Adam Roach <adam@nostrum.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 22:32:03 -0500
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "sipcore@ietf.org WG" <sipcore@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] Why doesn't 4244bis cover Marianne's use-case?

I'd like a clarification.
You said:
> "limit bis
> changes to [those necessary to] satisfy target uri requirements."

If by that you mean literally just to enable GRUU delivery, we've already exceeded that.  You don't need an "mp" tag for that, for example, afaict.

But I'm also not sure it's fair to be that restrictive in your interpretation of what the bis can change.  Obviously we have to constrain the scope, to actually get anywhere.
But there's no point in publishing a document if it doesn't solve a problem people actually have, just for the sake of publishing a document.

[soapbox]
An RFC is not an end goal in itself - it's a means to an end, namely for enabling interoperable protocols people will *actually use*.
[/soapbox]
(I know we all agree on this, I'm just venting)

BTW, I'm not sure Marianne's use-case requires *ANY* normative changes to rfc4244bis.  I was just commenting that it would have been nice to really understand if rfc4244bis did not cover it.  This is similar to Cullen's concern about use-cases/application-examples.  We need to make sure the changes we're making are actually useful. (I think they *are*, or are as close as we can get, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't go through the exercise... using H-I just isn't that simple/obvious)

-hadriel