Re: [sipcore] draft-ietf-sipcore-location-conveyance-04

"James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com> Thu, 28 October 2010 04:09 UTC

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 23:10:42 -0500
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>, "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
From: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Cc: SIPCORE <sipcore@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] draft-ietf-sipcore-location-conveyance-04

At 06:50 PM 10/27/2010, Paul Kyzivat wrote:
>I have a bunch inline here.

I'll say   ;-)

>This supersedes my earlier suggested ABNF change.

ack

> [...]
>>>Geolocation: routing-allowed=no
>>>Geolocation: routing-allowed=yes
>>>
>>>The following is also allowed - I don't know if its intended or not:

>>>Geolocation: routing-allowed=yes
>>>Geolocation: cid:foo@example.com,cid:bar@example.com
>>>
>>>* The following is allowed by the ABNF though disallowed by the text:

>>>Geolocation: cid:foo@example.com,cid:bar@example.com
>>>Geolocation: cid:baz@example.com
>>>
>>>* The following is *not* allowed by the ABNF. I suspect it might be
>>>intended to be valid, but I'm far from sure about it:

>>>Geolocation: cid:foo@example.com,routing-allowed=yes
>>
>>to get this above example "allowed", would I correct the existing ABNF
>>to be
>>
>>>Geolocation-value = ( locationValue [ COMMA locationValue ] COMMA )
>>>/ routing-param
>>
>>?
>
>No. *That* would allow all of the following but not the example above:
>
>  Geolocation: cid:foo@example.com,
>  Geolocation: cid:foo@example.com,cid:bar@example.com,
>  Geolocation: routing-allowed=yes
>
>>>In addition to that, the text is very explicit that:
>>>
>>>The routing-allowed
>>>parameter MUST be present, even when no locationValue is present.
>>>
>>>but then it says:
>>>
>>>If no routing-allowed parameter
>>>is present in a SIP request, a SIP intermediary MAY insert this
>>>value with a RECOMMENDED value of "no" by default.
>>>
>>>So its required, but we have rules to follow if its missing. But I
>>>don't understand how it *can* be required, since the sender of the
>>>request may not understand/support Geolocation and so won't include it.
>>
>>What we're trying to do here is explicitly give instructions to SIP
>>intermediary implementers to include the routing-allowed parameter if
>>one isn't present, with a default value of =no.
>
>I went back and reread the section containing this text. It is in a
>section explicitly about this header. So on reflection I suppose the
>"MUST be present" was intended to imply "in the Geolocation
>*header". I took it to mean "in the request".
>
>Requiring it to be in the header only makes sense if there can be at
>most one header. And then it only makes sense if the syntax is
>altered to allow both the routing-parameter and the locationValue in
>the same header.
>
>>>ISTM that in reality its only *required* if the is a locationValue
>>>present, and is otherwise optional.
>>
>>which is how most would read it if ...
>>
>>>If no routing-allowed parameter
>>>is present in a SIP request, a SIP intermediary MAY insert this
>>>value with a RECOMMENDED value of "no" by default.
>>
>>... weren't present in the document. But, there is no permission to
>>allow SIP intermediaries to add the routing-allowed parameter, which we
>>wanted to cover.
>
>I'm still confused. Let me state what I think you are after:
>
>- a request may or may not contain a Geolocation header
>- a request may not contain more than one Geolocation header

of what you have, this one is one I hadn't considered important, but
if that gets everything aligned, then I'm all for adding it in.

>- a Geolocation header MUST contain a routing-param
>- a Geolocation header Must contain zero, one, or two locationValues
>- you prefer the routing-param to be the last field in the header
>- a proxy MAY add a Geolocation header if one is not present
>   (in which case it MUST include a routing-param)
>- a proxy MAY add a locationValue to an existing Geolocation header
>   if it doesn't already have two locationValues. (And I guess it
>   could add two if there initially were none.)
>
>And you would like ABNF that is consistent with the above.

with the one caveat, yes.

>I'm going to give you some alternatives that should all be
>syntactically correct. I'll give you one that meets the above, and
>some others that may be more appealing variations. Then we can see
>which people prefer.
>
>1) The following tries to meet the requirements I spelled out above:
>
>    Geolocation-header = "Geolocation" HCOLON Geolocation-value
>    Geolocation-value  = locationValue [ COMMA locationValue]
>                         COMMA routing-param
>                         / routing-param

I hadn't even thought that was possible, but seeing it, I'm amazed I
didn't try it

(i.e., it's another classic "I could've had a v8" moment)...

I'm not as smart as you, Paul  <:-|

>    locationValue      =  LAQUOT locationURI RAQUOT
>                           *(SEMI geoloc-param)
>    locationURI        =  sip-URI / sips-URI / pres-URI
>                           / http-URI / HTTPS-URI
>                           / cid-url ; (from RFC 2392)
>                           / absoluteURI ; (from RFC 3261)
>    geoloc-param       =  generic-param;  (from RFC 3261)
>    routing-param      =  "routing-allowed" EQUAL "yes" / "no"
>
>    This must be accompanied by text stating that there MUST be at most
>    one Geolocation-header in a request.

you've sold me on this one (and yes, I examined all the others before
jumping on this first one!). Do others have strong opinions about why not #1?

thank you for this!

James