Re: [sipcore] Does SIP support "Reverse Charging" function?

"DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com> Tue, 21 September 2010 11:14 UTC

From: "DRAGE, Keith (Keith)" <keith.drage@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "gao.yang2@zte.com.cn" <gao.yang2@zte.com.cn>, Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Sep 2010 13:14:06 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "sipcore@ietf.org" <sipcore@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] Does SIP support "Reverse Charging" function?

P-Charging-Vector and P-Charging-Function-Addresses header fields are not specifically any form of charging.

P-Charging-Vector is about the exchange of identifiers that are used in accounting, and therefore charging, by some other system.

P-Charging-Function-Addresses is about where to send such accounting information when you have it.

As sucht he default model in IMS, which uses these, assumes no mechanism of charging at all. I agree that a model could be built (and is indeed built and deployed) that makes it calling user pays, but that is not inherent to the IMS itself. The online charging server does make a presupposition that it is calling user only that will be charged for IMS activity. Note that in many mobile situations (particularly roaming), both users pay, so how does reverse charging work in that case?

I would suggest that to do reverse charging, you need a charging model in the first place. That does not exist in IETF. Even in 3GPP, it would need additional work, because you would need to address signalling transactions to the entities performing the charging, rather than those collecting the data.

regards

Keith