Re: [sipcore] Tracker Etiquette

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com> Wed, 01 September 2010 13:38 UTC

Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 09:39:17 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
To: "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <dworley@avaya.com>
Cc: SIPCORE <sipcore@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] Tracker Etiquette

Worley, Dale R (Dale) wrote:
> I've been assuming that the tracker is to be used much like a technical support tracker -- it's assumed that duplicate and mistaken tickets will be entered, and often variants of existing tickets, and that there are facilities for easily closing tickets that prove to be useless, and for consolidating tickets that are partially or completely duplicates.  Maybe I'm mistaken; I'm assuming that closing a ticket is not difficult.

I also presume closing a ticket is not difficult. It may be too easy, in
that, by default, I think *anyone* can close a ticket, whether justified
or not. But *will* anyone close tickets that ought to be closed?

I think there will be no problem if the creator of a ticket closes it.
But if the editor of the subject document closes the ticket without
acting on it, and without explaining why, and without permission of the
creator, then there will probably be complaints.

I don't know if we need a restrictive workflow about this, but I think
we at least need some community norms about how we intend to manage it.

	Thanks,
	Paul