Re: [sipcore] draft-kaplan-sip-session-id-02

<L.Liess@telekom.de> Mon, 13 July 2009 15:59 UTC

Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 18:00:04 +0200
From: L.Liess@telekom.de
To: Peter.Dawes@vodafone.com, HKaplan@acmepacket.com
Cc: sipcore@ietf.org, Gerold.Pinker@telekom.de, dworley@nortel.com, R.Jesske@telekom.de, Martin.Huelsemann@telekom.de
Subject: Re: [sipcore] draft-kaplan-sip-session-id-02

Peter,

we intend to use the Session-ID for traffic monitoring.
Personally, I like the debug drafts a lot because it is a quite
efficient mechanism for detecting faults quickly but it covers quite
different scenarios than Session-ID. We discussed internaly what to use
and decided for Session-ID for following reasons:

- The monitoring is done by a separate device, we don't use the logfiles
of the proxies.
- We can not rely on end devices.  We already have a lot of end devices
in the field which do not have session-ID or debug-id implemented. First
SBC in the path has to insert the new ID. Also, the security people
whant to use the ID to trace attacks and we assume that the attacker's
clients will not insert the debugg-id.
- We want to be able to correlate the messages end-to-end also if we do
not know in advance if we want to monitor a specific call.
- The monitoring is active all the time. The security people want to be
able to look what happened in the past. So the global uniqueness
requirement makes sense for me.
- The hashing is needed because we do not want the calle to see the
IP-address of the caller end most devices insert the IP-address in the
call-id.

Kind regards
Laura