Re: [sipcore] About SUBSCRIBE method's performance and Out-of-Dialog notification suggestion:

Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com> Tue, 04 January 2011 12:42 UTC

From: Christer Holmberg <christer.holmberg@ericsson.com>
To: "gao.yang2@zte.com.cn" <gao.yang2@zte.com.cn>, "sipcore@ietf.org" <sipcore@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 13:44:52 +0100
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [sipcore] About SUBSCRIBE method's performance and Out-of-Dialog notification suggestion:

Hi Gao,

>By our equipment's performance analysis, we(internal) find that SUBSCRIBE method always occupy a lot of resource, especially for some long duration Event Packages. (Considering the traffic
>model, some Event Packages, have larger call rate and longer duration than INVITE method.)
>
>Supposing the SUBSCRIBE's dialog&event resource consuming is similar to INVITE's dialog&session(signalling level) resource consuming, one Event Package's would need more resource consuming than
>the session usage.
>
>Considering some Event Package's event occurence probability is very low in the subscription's relative long duration lifecycle, we can make a new type of subscription which would tear down the
>dialog after the SUBSCRIBE(and the first NOTIFY), while send the subsequent notification out-of-dialog.
>
>I'd like to hear Adam and other RFC3265 experts' view points.

I'm neither, but I have some questions for clarifications:

1. I assume the SUB sender would still need store some data, in order to match the out-of-dialog NOT to the previous SUB dialog?

2. If 1 is true, for how long would the SUB sender keep this data, and be prepared to receive the out-of-dialog NOT? I guess the subscription timers don't apply in this case, or?

3. Would the out-of-dialog NOT be routed using a Contact/GRUU, rather than the AOR, of the SUB sender, to ensure it reaches the SUB sender?

Regards,

Christer