[sipcore] Alissa Cooper's Discuss on draft-ietf-sipcore-callinfo-spam-04: (with DISCUSS)

Alissa Cooper via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Wed, 02 October 2019 20:53 UTC

From: Alissa Cooper via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-sipcore-callinfo-spam@ietf.org, Brian Rosen <br@brianrosen.net>, sipcore-chairs@ietf.org, br@brianrosen.net, sipcore@ietf.org
Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2019 13:53:30 -0700
Subject: [sipcore] Alissa Cooper's Discuss on draft-ietf-sipcore-callinfo-spam-04: (with DISCUSS)

Alissa Cooper has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-sipcore-callinfo-spam-04: Discuss

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipcore-callinfo-spam/

DISCUSS:

(1) It seems to me that there is a privacy consideration that is not discussed
in this document, namely the unwanted exposure of the call types to third
parties. If I'm receiving a lot of calls from the debt collection agency and my
UA displays that information in my call log for anyone who might have access to
my phone, or an eavesdropper can glean that information from intercepting my
SIP signaling, as a user I probably want to be able to tell my SIP provider to
disable this. Perhaps this capability to request that certain Call-Info headers
not be sent is captured generically in RFC 3261 (I don't remember), in which
case pointing that out here would be good. Or if not, I think something needs
to be said about the ability for callees to turn off the transmission of these
type labels.

(2) I'm a little uncomfortable with this document being the definitive source
for call types for all phone systems everywhere, since presumably these types
have other uses in telephony beyond the use envisioned by this spec. Is there
another document that could be cited as the definitive source for these types?