Re: [sipcore] draft-ietf-sipcore-location-conveyance-04

Anders Kristensen <ankriste@cisco.com> Thu, 28 October 2010 04:51 UTC

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 21:52:37 -0700
From: Anders Kristensen <ankriste@cisco.com>
To: sipcore@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sipcore] draft-ietf-sipcore-location-conveyance-04

I haven't really followed the discussion closely but I'll say this
anyway. Many header fields are of a form similar to Geolocation,
essentially lists of URI, and allow for parameters. But I think the
parameters are pretty much always associated with individual entries in
the list and may be present for more than one.

 From what I can tell, in the case of Geolocation, the routing-allowed
param is not really attached to any particular entry in the list
suggesting that maybe it doesn't belong in the same header field. I
think that's the thinking that lead Paul to options 4 or 5 which seem
much preferable to me. That allows Geolocation to fit the text in RFC
3261 that talks about combining header fields:

    Specifically, any SIP
    header whose grammar is of the form

       header  =  "header-name" HCOLON header-value *(COMMA header-value)

    allows for combining header fields of the same name into a comma-
    separated list.

Granted, there's no rule that says that header fields with
comma-separated values *must* fit the above grammar but ISTM that it's a
pretty established pattern which is worth observing.

Thanks,
Anders