Re: [sipcore] Paul Wouters' Discuss on draft-ietf-sipcore-multiple-reasons-01: (with DISCUSS)

Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com> Tue, 25 October 2022 21:53 UTC

Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 16:53:07 -0500
To: Paul Wouters <paul.wouters@aiven.io>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-sipcore-multiple-reasons@ietf.org, sipcore-chairs@ietf.org, sipcore@ietf.org, br@brianrosen.net
From: Robert Sparks <rjsparks@nostrum.com>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] Paul Wouters' Discuss on draft-ietf-sipcore-multiple-reasons-01: (with DISCUSS)

On 10/25/22 4:14 PM, Paul Wouters via Datatracker wrote:
> Paul Wouters has entered the following ballot position for
> draft-ietf-sipcore-multiple-reasons-01: Discuss

> introductory paragraph, however.)
>

> Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/
> for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-sipcore-multiple-reasons/

> DISCUSS:
>
> I understand the document is changing an existing MUST, and the change itself
> seems fine. But I do wonder about the operational effect of this. What if a sip
> stack complying to this new RFC talks to an old sip stack complying to the old
> RFC. Is it known what the most widely used sip stacks do in the case of
> receiving a duplicate message
mild restatement to help think this through: you meant "more than one
Reason header field value specifying the same protocol in the same SIP
message".
>   for the same protocol?

As I replied to Roman, we did test this extensively at SIPits back in
the day. Implementations ignore Reason header field values for protocols
they know nothing about, and they do the right thing for those that were
defined at the time they were implemented.

This is also being _thoroughly_ pre-socialized in the major deployment
environments (mostly through the related ATIS IP/NNI efforts). The
industry pressure to do what these documents currently specify is quite
high.

> Will it just ignore the duplicate ? If so, should this document specify that
> the order of these might be important ?

Why are you concerned about ordering here? The base SIP specification
says not to reorder header field values when going through
intermediaries. Implementation that do not know about the protocol being
discussed in a given Reason header field value will ignore that value,
so ordering is irrelevant in that case anyhow.

> Will it fail the entire sip packet?
Not what we've seen, and certainly not what the specifications say to do.
> If
> so, should this document specify to only use this when the other end is known
> to implement this RFC?
> Should there be a fallback mechanism that will only sent
> the 1 most important "reason" if it looks the other end is failing on our
> message with multiple reasons?

I took several stabs at writing a short response to that, but I'm going
to fall back to "That way lies madness". That moves into defining
protocol behavior that goes far past what the original Reason header
definition went into, and is essentially a proposal for a new protocol
extension that experience says will not get consensus.

> The WG might have experience or testing that is not obvious to me (or other
> readers of the document).
>
> Perhaps a short Operational Considerations Section would be appropriate ?
I personally don't think it would, but such a thing would be more useful
in a document that defined a protocol to use with the Reason header that
allowed multiple values.