Re: [sipcore] draft-ietf-sipcore-location-conveyance-04

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com> Wed, 27 October 2010 12:51 UTC

Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 08:53:42 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
To: "Thomson, Martin" <Martin.Thomson@andrew.com>
Cc: SIPCORE <sipcore@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] draft-ietf-sipcore-location-conveyance-04

I was going to suggest alternative ABNF in my prior posting, but I ran
out of time and wanted to send it. So here is a proposal:

    Geolocation-header = "Geolocation" HCOLON Geolocation-value
			*( COMMA Geolocation-value)
    Geolocation-value  = locationValue / routing-param
    locationValue      =  LAQUOT locationURI RAQUOT
                           *(SEMI geoloc-param)
    locationURI        =  sip-URI / sips-URI / pres-URI
                           / http-URI / HTTPS-URI
                           / cid-url ; (from RFC 2392)
                           / absoluteURI ; (from RFC 3261)
    geoloc-param       =  generic-param;  (from RFC 3261)
    routing-param      =  "routing-allowed" EQUAL "yes" / "no"

This syntax is consistent with 3261 section 7.3:

    Specifically, any SIP header whose grammar is of the form

       header  =  "header-name" HCOLON header-value *(COMMA header-value)

    allows for combining header fields of the same name into a comma-
    separated list.

(That means there is an equivalence between multiple occurrences of the
header, and a single header with multiple fields.)

(I would prefer to have a separately named header for the routing-param,
but I think we are too far down the river to make that change now.)

The above is overly forgiving, in that it permits zero or more
locationURIs and zero or more routing-params. That then needs to be
tightened up with text. I think the text needs to say, more or less:

- if there are any locationURIs in a sip request,
   then a routing-param MUST be present in the request
- there MUST NOT be more than one routing-param present in a
   sip request.
- there MUST NOT be more than two locationURIs in a sip request
   (if there is really a reason for such a restriction)

Actually the MUST requirement on the routing-param also seems
unmotivated to me. Why not just a default of routing-allowed=no?

	Thanks,
	Paul