Re: [sipcore] privacy handling

"Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com> Wed, 01 September 2010 08:36 UTC

From: "Elwell, John" <john.elwell@siemens-enterprise.com>
To: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>, "Worley, Dale R (Dale)" <dworley@avaya.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2010 10:36:29 +0200
acceptlanguage: en-US
Cc: "SIPCORE (Session Initiation Protocol Core) WG" <sipcore@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] privacy handling

[JRE] Paul has put into words what I was wrestling with during my review of the draft (and failed to capture in my comments). It does seem that an H-I-supporting proxy has to also provide a privacy service. Rather than referring to RFC 3323 on what to do under conditions where an hi-entry is subject to privacy and cannot be forwarded (in a request or in a response), it would be better to specify exactly what the proxy must do. The possibilities seem to be to remove the hi-entry or to substitute an anonymous value. The latter does not seem very useful , except that the History-Info header field would still indicate the number of retargets that have occurred (possibly of some use). In the case of an anonymous hi-entry in a request, the proxy could change it back to the original value when passing back the response.

John