Re: [sipcore] Why doesn't 4244bis cover Marianne's use-case?

<marianne.mohali@orange-ftgroup.com> Fri, 19 November 2010 15:31 UTC

Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 16:32:19 +0100
From: marianne.mohali@orange-ftgroup.com
To: HKaplan@acmepacket.com, adam@nostrum.com
Cc: sipcore@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [sipcore] Why doesn't 4244bis cover Marianne's use-case?

Hi,

The objective of draft-mohali-sipcore-reason-extension-application is to know why and, more exactly, which application has influenced the session.
4244bis do not cover the need but is necessary to meet the need.

3 Use-cases for application-specific Reason:
1. in accordance with RFC3326, in a BYE or CANCEL to explain why a session has been released/canceled (general use-case)
2. in accordance with 4244bis, escaped in the History-Info header (2 sub-cases)
    2.1. When the call is retargeted (R-URI changed), explaining that it is because of an application-specific internal decision.
    2.2. When there is no retargeting (R-URI unchanged), just to mark in the session history that this application has been invocated.

Work on RFC4244bis has to be concluded and this draft has a different scope. I don't see any interaction issues.

Why not finish RFC4244bis and use this draft both to enrich Reason header in general and to meet the needs using History-Info (already covering the use of Reason)?

Hadriel, you said "When I read Marianne's draft, it sounds like the use-case she's trying to cover is call-forwarding"
but the presented draft has really NO link with Call Forwarding (it is an other draft ;-).

Marianne