Re: [sipcore] Understanding Privacy: history invoked by UAS

Shida Schubert <shida@ntt-at.com> Wed, 10 November 2010 05:46 UTC

From: Shida Schubert <shida@ntt-at.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 2010 14:46:53 +0900
To: Hadriel Kaplan <HKaplan@acmepacket.com>
Cc: "sipcore@ietf.org" <sipcore@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [sipcore] Understanding Privacy: history invoked by UAS

 If you remove an entry or entries, I guess you may end
up with a gap in index and depending on when and how
much is removed, the index can deliver a false
representation of request path (if 1.1 and 1.1.1 was
removed entity receiving the request will add hi-entry
probably with an index of 1.1, missing 2 hops) and
may provide an erroneous "forwarding count" etc.

 But this is something that would happen already with
RFC4244.

 RFC4244bis enforces privacy service to anonymize
the hi-entry by changing the hi-target-to-uri into
anonymized URI and tries to prohibit (at least on the
specification) privacy service from removing the hi-entry.

 RFC4244 on the other hand, was pretty flexible with
how privacy service would conduct anonymization,
it didn't prohibit privacy service from removing the
hi-entry.

 So I don't think anything would break as things are
working now without this enforcement added in
RFC4244bis. I think in most deployment where this is
important, how hi-entry is anonymized is probably
enforced and consistent within the environment where
it matters.

 Regards
  Shida