[sipcore] draft-mohali-sipcore-reason-extension-application-00

Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com> Thu, 04 November 2010 18:00 UTC

Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 14:00:30 -0400
From: Paul Kyzivat <pkyzivat@cisco.com>
To: SIPCORE <sipcore@ietf.org>
Subject: [sipcore] draft-mohali-sipcore-reason-extension-application-00

[as individual]

I took another look at this draft, and have a few observations/comments:

Its claimed that in cases where retargeting is due to a 3xx response,
then the reason is 3xx, while in the cases of interest in this draft the
reason is one of the new application reason codes.

But these are not mutually exclusive cases. All of the "application"
cases called out could be implemented by sending the request to an
application server that then returns a 3xx response with the value. If
so, anything downstream that wishes to identify the reason would
presumably want the application reason, which would perhaps have been
lost in this process.

ISTM that to resolve that, the redirect server would affix the reason
header with the application code to the contact in the 3xx. Then, the
proxy that recurses on the 3xx would place contact with the embedded
reason header into the H-I, and would also place the reason header into
the new outgoing request.

A net effect of this is that the Reason header would be in the *new* URI
in H-I, not in the *old* URI as is shown. To me that also makes more
sense - its the reason this URI is present.

Bottom line - this should all make sense even without the use of H-I.
Then H-I usage can also be folded into the examples to give an even more
complete picture of what happened.

I also must say that I find the proposed cause text to be at best
awkward. I'm not a grammarian, but ISTM that these terms are using the
wrong part of speech - they don't sound like *causes*. And for that
matter some of them don't sound like they are even related to
retargeting. E.g. premium rate, vpn. I would expect that "The call was
retargeted to number <number> because <cause>" would make sense for each
of these.

	Thanks,
	Paul