(sipp) E.164 mapping into IPv6

Dave Katz <dkatz@cisco.com> Sun, 07 August 1994 03:59 UTC

Date: Sat, 06 Aug 1994 20:54:18 -0700
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Dave Katz <dkatz@cisco.com>
To: sipp@sunroof.eng.sun.com
Cc: sipp@sunroof.eng.sun.com
Subject: (sipp) E.164 mapping into IPv6

I'll get my architectural meanderings out onto the addrconf list some
time next week, so you can get a clearer picture of what I'm considering,
but here's an apropos bit of it.

In the scheme that I presented in Houston, the only time hosts self-
administer an address is for first-level bootstrap and same-datalink
communications, and that address has significance (and thus must be
unique) only on the local datalink.  All other address assignment is
done by a server on the local datalink that is knowledgable in the
topology and environment; a server will likely be coresident in a
router and synthesize an address based on some cookie from the host,
combined with local topology information.  Or, it could do something
completely different (and potentially stateful, tied to network
management, etc.) or forward the request to a more central location.

If the server creates an address based on the host cookie, the host
cookie must have uniqueness scope only within the lowest hierarchical
level (subnet or its moral equivalent).