Re: Static IP addresses for Dial-up

Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net> Mon, 29 January 1996 17:27 UTC

Date: Mon, 29 Jan 1996 11:20:10 +0000
Sender: ietf-archive-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
From: Jim Dixon <jdd@vbc.net>
To: Piet Beertema <Piet.Beertema@cwi.nl>
cc: peter@unipalm.pipex.com, nanog@merit.edu, cidrd@iepg.org, iab@isi.edu
Subject: Re: Static IP addresses for Dial-up

On Mon, 29 Jan 1996, Piet Beertema wrote:

>     Demon Internet Services provide an  IP address for every dial-up
>     customer. Most other ISPs have taken the view that this is a waste
>     of valuable IP space and allocate IP addresses dynamically.
>     How should our industry respond to ISPs who behave selfishly and
>     do not take into account the good of the network?
> Is it just selfish or do they have good reasons?
> Dynamic address assignment and (static!) access
> control don't go very well together, which could
> be a reason for static address assignment.

Demon have spent a great deal of time and energy developing a
system which allows customers (who have individual IP addresses)
to dial in to any one of a number of PoPs and have their mail etc
automatically routed to them; the IP number is dynamically bound
to the particular modem they are coming in on at run time.  They
are justifiably proud of this system.  I believe that someone
from Demon has also pointed out that it is much more efficient
that the usual "class C per customer" approach, which assigns
256 addresses to half a dozen machines.

We strongly encourage our customers, most of whom are providers,
to use dynamic routing for dial up, but we can understand Demon's
situation ... and find it hard to condemn them when there are
so many more glaring examples of waste of IP address space.
--
Jim Dixon   VBCnet GB Ltd +44 117 929 1316  fax +44 117 927 2015
            VBCnet West   +1  408 971 2682  fax +1  408 971 2684